BEiNg SiNglE is My ATtITUde
- May 7, 2012
Brief History: Rawalpindi, locally known as ‘Pindi’, is Pakistan’s prominent city located near the capital, Islamabad. Rawalpindi and Islamabad are called Twin Cities. The name ‘Rawalpindi’ means the abode of Rawals. The Rawals, a jogi tribe, founded ‘Rawal’ at the site where Rawal Dam is located. When Jhanda Khan, a Ghakkar Chief , founded a new town nearby, at the site of an old town known as ‘Fatehpur Baori’ he named it ‘Rawalpindi’. In 1765, a Sikh Chief Malik Singh, after a fierce battle with Gakhars, took the control of Rawalpindi. In 1849, Rawalpindi came under the British Raj and the pace of development increased rapidly.
A collection of images of Rawalpindi , a mix of old and new photos, is presented on this page exclusively for Pindi lovers.
Fauji Fertiliser Tower, The Mall, Rawalpindi. This newly constructed multi-storied building is just opposite Army Hockey Stadium.
Army Welfare Trust Plaza, The Mall, Rawalpindi. Army Welfare Trust (AWT) Plaza is located on the Mall Road, Rawalpindi. It houses headquarters of Askari Bank, while offices of other corporate entities of Army Welfare Trust are also located in this building.
Infantry Officers’ Mess, Rawalpindi Cantt. One can also see the AWT Plaza, The Mall, in the background. Photo by WestendRaider.
Night View of KFC and Namak Mandi Restaurant in Saddar. This building is located at the intersection of Murree Road and Adamjee Road in Saddar, Rawalpindi.
Flashman’s Hotel, The Mall, Rawalpindi
A Signboard at The Mall Road, Rawalpindi Near Pindi Club & Flashman’s Hotel.Union Bank seen in the photo has since been shifted.
Intersection of Kashmir Road and Adamjee Road in Early 1960s.It is the intersection of Kashmir Road and Adamjee Road near GTS Stand (Its building is clearly visible behind Capstan signboard). This photograph has been taken from the Massey Gate side. The Tonga Stand on the left of Capstan signboard is still there but now it is Suzuki Stand. The Esso Petrol Pump is no more there. A tyre repair shop is inits place now.
Intersection of Kashmir Road and Adamjee Road. A mosque has emerged in the corner but GTS Bus Stand and Tonga Stand are still there. Esso petrol pump on the left side has vanished. New high-rise Poonch House building is visible in the background.
Jinnah Park with Cinepax at the Background
Pitchers at Jinnah Park, Rawalpindi
Night View of Cinepax at Jinnah Park, Rawalpindi
Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium
Chandni Chowk, Rawalpindi (April 2012)
Committee Chowk, Murree Road. While Committee Chowk underpass was under construction.
Kamran Market, Saddar, Rawalpindi
Poonch House. Poonch House is located on Adamjee Road, Rawalpindi Saddar, adjacent to old GTS Bus Stand. It is the property of Government of Azad Kashmir.
Railway Station, Rawalpindi
State Life Building, The Mall, Rawalpindi
Armed Forces Institute of Cardiology (AFIC), The Mall, Rawalpindi
“Calcutta House”, Adamjee Road, Rawalpindi Cantonment. The building accommodates Ministry of Defence offices.
A Beautiful Mosque at Gulshan Dadan Khan, Rawalpindi. This mosque is right on the Murree Road at Gulshan Dadan Khanbetween Cricket Stadium and Faizabad.
Pearl Continental Hotel. Pearl Continental Hotel (formerly Inter Continental Hotel) is located on The Mall Road, Rawalpindi. It is a five star hotel which serves continental and local cuisine.
Old British Cousulate Building at Rawalpindi. This building was British Consulate on Iftikhar Janjua Road (Old Napier Road) when Rawalpindi was interim capital of the country for ten 10 years 1959-1968. Later this building was named “Fauji Manzil” and hosued a library and some offices of Fauji Foundation. They too have vacated it after construction of Fauji Tower at Tipu Road.
Oldest Building of State Bank of Pakistan Rawalpindi. Situated at Napier Road (now Iftikhar Janjua Road), this building was known as Imperial Bank of India before Partition. After the Partition, National Bank of Pakistan Main Branch was accommodated by this building for some time. State Bank’s Rawalpindi Office was established in 1959 and remained housed here before it was shifted to newly constructed building at The Mall Road on 1st September 1965 (now called as Old Block). Another New Building was constructed in the early 90s at the place where once this elegant building situated. This picture was taken from the old British Consulate building (Later ‘Fauji Manzil’).
Old Block of State Bank of Pakistan, Rawalpindi (Facing The Mall Road). State Bank of Pakistan, Rawalpindi was shifted to this building on 1st September 1965 (now called as Old Block). Another New Building, adjacent to this building (facing Iftikhar Janjua Road) was constructed in the early 90s. Both the buildings are now in use by the bank.
New Building of State Bank of Pakistan, Rawalpindi (Facing Iftikhar Janjua Road). This Building, facing Iftikhar Janjua Road, adjacent to the Old Block, was constructed in the early 90s. Both the buildings are now in use by the bank.
Yaadgar-e-Shuhada, Rawalpindi.It is located within the boundary walls of GHQ in the memory of all Shaheeds of Pakistan’s Armed Forces. Foreign dignitaries visit this site and lay flower wreaths.
Army Museum, Rawalpindi
AFID Building in CMH, Rawalpindi. Photo taken fro Sabza Zaar side.
Kashmir Road, Rawalpindi Saddar in 1976