Words Used With Appropriate Prepositions

• Work-from-home

dream girl

Khwabon se bahre Naina
VIP
Jul 30, 2008
ITALY
Certain Verbs, Nouns , Adjectives and Participles are usually followed by certain Prepositions.All that is required of a learner is that he must make the correct use of the Preposition after certain words.There are no specific rules to follow but one has to develop the habit of reading and using them time and again.His experience in reading will be of immense help.Below is the list of words used with Prepositions.
First we will go through Verbs followed by Prepositions:

Abide by : You must abide by the rules and regulations of the college.
You will have to abide by the consequences

Abound in :The river abounds in fish.
The abounded with vermin.

Abstain from :He should abstain from alcoholic drinks

Accede to :The prince accede to the throne.
You should willingly accede to his proposal

Account for :He has been asked to account for his conduct
His illnes accounts for his absence

Accuse of :He accused them of theft.
He was accused of bribery

Acquit of :He was acquitted of crime
The judge acquitted him of murder

Agree to,with :Anwar's father has agreed to her marrying Susan.
He agreed to my proposal.
The climate does not agree with me.

Aim at :He aimed (his gun) at the tiger.
My remarks were not aimed at you

Answer to ,for :The dog answers to the name of Mitty.
He does not answer to the description of the missing man
that appeared in the newspaper.
I will answer for it (promise) that the next one will be better

dream girl

Khwabon se bahre Naina
VIP
Jul 30, 2008
ITALY
Apologise to,for :I apologised to him for my mistake.The girl apologised for her rudeness

Appeal to,for :The prisoner appealed to the judge for mercy.He appealed to the rich man for monetary help.

Apply to,for :He applied to the consul for a visa.He applied to the government for medical leave

Appear in ,at,before:The boys appeared in (at) the examination.The defendant failed to appear before court.

Approve of :My father will never approve of my marriage with you.I don't approve of your conduct.

Argue with :He argued with me about that matter.They argued with him against the proposal

Arrive at,in :They arrived at Lahore.He arrived at the conclusion.He arrived in Pakistan at karachi.

Ask for,after,from :He asked me for help.He asked after you.He asked for assistance from his neighbours.

Aspire after ,to :He aspires after knowledge.He aspires to fame.He aspires to become a CSP officer
Associate with :I associated myself with Bill Gates in a business marketing.We associate Egypt with Nile.Do not associate with dishonest boys.

Assure of :I assured him of my readiness to help him.

Attack with,by :He was attacked with mild fever.

Attend to, upon :He attends to the wants of customers.He attended upon the patient.

Avail of ,on,against :You should avail yourself of every opportunity.Money does not avail on desert island.Nothing availed against the storm

Beg of ,for :I beg of you not to take any risks.I begged of him to stay.He was so poor that he had to beg for his bread.

Believe in :I believe in that man.He believes in getting plenty of exercise.

Begin at,with,upon :Today we begin at page 20 ,line 3.He began with the first topic.Let's begin upon our task now.

Belong to :These books belong to me.Which club do you belong to?

Bestow on :He got into the train and bestowed his luggage on the track.King bestowed high honours on him.May Allah bestow His blessings on us.

Reactions: aram