Few Glimpses of the Valour of Kargil Heroes

• Work-from-home

*Sonu*

•°o.O Born to Fly O.o°•
VIP
Mar 5, 2010
ISLAMABAD (Pakistan), Aug 14 (APP): The 52nd Independence Day of the country became an occasion of more significance as the nation honored 64 fearless and valiant army officers and Jawans for their gallantry in defending the country's soil during the Kargil conflict. Those who were honoured included 36 shaheeds and were awarded with the distinguished military awards of Nishan-e- Haider, Sitara-i-Jur'at and Tamgah-i-Jur'at.
Captain Karnal Sher and Hav. Lalak Jan joined those eight legendary heroes who received the highest military award of Nishan-i-Haider for laying down their lives in defence of the beloved motherland. Captain Karnal Sher Khan emerged as the symbol of mettle and courage during the Kargil conflict on the Line of Control (LoC). He set personal examples of bravery and inflicted heavy losses on the enemy. He defended the five strategic posts, which he established with his jawans at the height of some 17,000 feet at Gultary, and repulsed many Indian attacks. After many abortive attempts, the enemy on July 5 ringed the post of Capt. Sher Khan with the help of two battalion and unleashed heavy mortar firing and managed to capture some part of the post. Despite facing all odds, he lead a counter-attack and re- captured the lost parts. But during the course he was hit by the machine-gun fire and embraced Shahadat at the same post. He is the first officer from the NWFP province to be awarded with Nishan-i-Haider.

Hav. Lalak Jan of the Northern Light Infantry (NLI) was one of those many who as a junior leader fought from the forefront to thwart heavy Indian attacks. He volunteered himself to be deployed on the front positions located at the jagged peak in May 1999. Hav. Lalak driven back many aggressive ventures by the enemy and imposed colossal losses on them. On July 7, Hav. Lalak sustained serious injuries as enemies pounded the area with heavy mortar shelling. But despite being injured, he retained his position and frustrated the Indian assault. He, however, succumbed to his injuries at the same post he was defending. Hav. Lalak was awarded with the Nishan-i-Haider for his dauntless courage and devotion.

Captain Izhar Haider Shaheed , who was awarded the Sitara-i- Jur'at will always be remembered for his matchless courage and fearlessness. He encountered and attacked the enemies along with his 20 jawans who were eight time the size of their strength. During the clash, Capt. Izhar and his jawans killed more than 50 soldiers of the enemy. However, when returning to their positions, they were encircled by the enemies, beefed up with fresh supply and were asked to lay down their arms. Capt. Izhar while refusing to do so, ordered his men to make way to their post, and took upon himself the task of obstructing enemies' advance and providing shelter to his men. With a machine-gun in his hand, the seriously injured Captain fought the enemy and embraced shahadat on the spot.

Naib Sub. Aqil Hussain of NLI was posted at the Aqil Post. He repelled many Indian attacks on the post. During a counter-attack with his handful of jawans, he created a stir in the ranks of the enemy with his surprise move and Indians escaped leaving behind some 56 dead bodies. Aqil Hussain along with his two jawans, sustained injuries as a result of heavy mortar firing by the enemies and embraced shahadat. He was given the Sitara-i-Jur'at award for his gallantry.

Sepoy Muhammad Daraz , who received the award of Tamgah-e- Jur'at put his life in danger to rescue one of his colleagues from the jaws of death. Sepoy Abbass Ali Shaheed of SSG also set a unique example of bravery. He was part of the party given the task to destroy a machine-gun post of the enemy. He crawled towards the position where the enemy's machine gun was placed and destroyed the gun with the hand-grenade. But in the course, he sustained injuries and embraced shahadat.

Sepoy Muhammad Bashir of the Army Medical Core (AMC) , who lost his right foot during the Kargil conflict, walked on crutches amidst thundering applause to receive his award of Tamgah-e-Jur'at. He was performing his duty in the advance positions since May 25. In July, besides his duty of providing medical aid, he himself fought to counter a heavy Indian attack and lost his right foot.

Among the recipient of the Tamgah-e-Jur'at were Naik Tariq Hussain and Gunner Shafaqat Ali of the Air- Defence , who shot down the two Indian Mig-27 jet fighters, intruding into Pakistan's air-space. The downing of these two fighters broke the back of the Indian air-force and kept their maneuvers at bay. These are only the few glimpses of bravery of our Kargil heroes who rose to the occasion and defended the motherland with courage, which draw very few parallels in the history of wars.